Source: Clara and Paolo Cavalli, Cavalli Pizza, McKinney, TX
The Cavallis, first-generation Americans and owners of this two-location pizzeria, brought their recipe for authentic pizza straight from Italy. This version gives eaters a healthy dose of vegetables in every slice.
4 cups flour
1 2/3 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 yellow summer squash, in 1/2-in. slices
1 zucchini, in 1/2-in. slices
1 eggplant, in 1/2-in. slices
Extra-virgin olive oil
4-6 mini bell peppers, in 1/2-in. slices
Fresh basil leaves, slivered
- Prepare Pizza Dough: Combine flour, water, salt and yeast in bowl of stand mixer. Mix slowly for 2 min.; increase speed and mix for 5 min. longer. Then decrease speed and mix for 2 min. until smooth dough forms. (By hand, mix ingredients with wooden spoon; knead dough until smooth.)
- Cover dough with plastic wrap or a clean towel. Leave to rise until doubled in size. Flatten dough and let rest.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Meanwhile, place squash, zucchini and eggplant slices on grill. Cook until soft; remove and season with salt and olive oil. Grill mini peppers until charred; season with salt and olive oil. Keep vegetables warm.
- Stretch out pizza dough to form a large circle. Top with diced mozzarella and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in preheated oven until mozzarella melts and dough is golden.
- Remove from oven and place grilled vegetables on top of crust. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with fresh basil leaves.