|Ingredients||Potatoes, Eggs, Vegetables, Nuts|
|Day Part||Dinner, Snack|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: Idaho Potato Board
These turnovers make for a tasty portable snack or a sit-down appetizer course. The potato-vegetable filling is fragrant with Indian spices and a little chili heat.
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cooked and crumbled Idaho potatoes
2 tsp. mustard seeds
3 tbsp. chopped ginger
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup coarsely chopped cauliflower (small florets)
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 green chilies, seeded and minced
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1 cup green peas
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. coarsely chopped cilantro
4 1/2 cups flour*
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. cumin seeds, toasted
1 cup ghee or butter, soft but not liquified
3/4 to 1 cup ice water
1 large egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Oil for deep frying
Mint or coconut chutney, for serving
- Heat vegetable oil in large sauté pan over med. heat. Add mustard seeds and ginger.
- Once seeds begin to pop, add onions and cook for 4 min.
- Add cauliflower, cabbage, chilies, cashews, peas, turmeric, lemon juice and salt to taste. Once cooked, about 6 to 7 min., cool and fold in cooked potatoes.
- When cooled, add cilantro and reserve.
- Mix flour and salt. Add toasted cumin seeds and ghee or butter. Mix in ice water and form like pastry dough, adding additional water as needed. Cool in refrigerator for 30 min.
- Roll out dough, about same thickness as pie dough (1/8-in. thick). Cut into circles, about 3-in. in diameter (using a ring or a glass). Egg wash edges of dough and fill with a generous teaspoon of potato mixture. Fold over in a half-moon shape and crimp edges with a fork.
- Deep-fry in 350°F oil or bake in 400°F oven for 23 to 25 min. Serve with mint or coconut chutney.
*For a denser consistency, substitute potato flour.