A soul-satisfying soup that is spicy and full of corn. The melted cheese toast topping adds a great bit of crunch.
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. cumin
2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and pureed
2 cups corn kernels, roasted
8 cups chicken stock
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 baguette, thinly sliced on the bias
1⁄2 cup parmesan or aged manchego cheese, shredded
Cilantro, as needed
Corn tortillas, as needed
1. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, carrot and celery in oil until crisp-tender.
2. Add cumin, pureed poblano peppers, corn and chicken stock; bring to a simmer. Slowly add cream, stirring, and return to a simmer. Reduce to desired consistency; season to taste and reserve warm.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and chili powder; season to taste.
4. On a sheet pan, arrange baguette slices. Spread with seasoned mayonnaise and top with shredded cheese. Briefly toast under a broiler until light brown and cheese is bubbly.
5. Float toasts on top of individual soup servings; garnish with cilantro and a side of warm corn tortillas.