A conventional lobster roll contains fresh cooked lobster meat, tossed with mayonnaise and served on a grilled hot dog bun with the opening on the top, rather than on the side. The stuffing may also contain diced celery or scallion, use of drawn butter in addition or instead of mayonnaise.
Lobster Mixture (recipe follows)
Garlic Butter (recipe follows)
3 oz. additional butter
12 New England-style frank or hot dog buns
6 fresh Hass avocados, peeled, seeded and diced
1½ lbs. lobster tail meat, coarsely chopped
1½ lbs. lobster knuckle and claw meat, coarsely chopped
3 oz. lemon juice
11⁄8 cups mayonnaise
1½ cups finely diced celery
¾ cup diced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 oz. butter
2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- To prepare Lobster Mixture: In a bowl, combine lobster meat, lemon juice, mayonnaise, celery, parsley and salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- To prepare Garlic Butter: Melt butter in saucepan over med. heat. Stir in garlic; set aside.
- Brush inside surfaces of rolls with Garlic Butter. Heat rolls in oven until warmed.
- Melt the additional 3 oz. butter in a saucepan. Add lobster mixture to saucepan and heat through until just cooked, about 5 to 7 min.
- Using a slotted spoon, strain the lobster into the garlic butter buns. Drizzle remaining sauce over the top or serve on the side.
- Top each bun with half a diced avocado.