This popular cocktail makes its way to the dessert menu in this mint and lime cream pie. Garnish with coconut and lime and serve with a cordial glass of rum.
1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1⁄3 cup light rum
1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. grated lime zest
3 large eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
1⁄2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food color
1 pt. heavy cream, divided
9-in. baked crumb crust
Coconut shreds and lime wedges
- In saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over rum; soften 1 min. Stir in juice and zest; blend in egg yolks and 1⁄4 cup sugar.
- Stir over low heat until mixture reaches 175°F. Transfer to bowl set in ice water. Stir until chilled and thickened. Stir in extract and food color.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff. Gently fold whites into lime mixture.
- Beat 3⁄4 cup cream until stiff; fold into lime mixture. Spoon into crust and chill.
- Beat remaining cream; spread over pie. Garnish with coconut and lime and serve with a cordial glass of rum.