Nog with a Vieux
|Ingredients||Eggs, Dairy, Beverage Alcohol, Fruits|
Source: bartender Ludinda Weed of Cure and Sylvain, Tales of the Toddy 2011
Sweet vermouth, bourbon, brandy, Benedictine, Peychaud's and angostura bitters in addition to a mulled wine reduction sauce turn out a beautifully spicy New Orleans' style eggnog.
3/4 oz. Cocchi Torino sweet vermouth
3/4 oz. Pierre Ferand 1840 Cognac
3/4 oz. oz Buffalo Trace bourbon
1/2 oz. Benedictine
1/2 oz. Mulled Wine Syrup*
3 dashes Peychaud's bitters
3 dashes angostura bitters
1 whole egg
*Mulled Wine Syrup
750 mL (1 bottle) house Cabernet Sauvignon
2 cinnamon sticks
5 crushed cardamom pods
3 star anise
1/4tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups sugar
- Combine all ingredients and shake rigorously without ice with the spring of a Hawthorne Strainer (or use a blender).
- When the ingredients are thoroughly integrated, shake with ice and strain into a festive rocks glass.
- Grate fresh nutmeg over the top. Serve with a cinnamon stick.
Mulled Wine Syrup
- Combine wine and spices in a pot. Add the entire peel of orange and 1/2 of its juice.
- Reduce liquid by 1/2 over a low-medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar, allow to cool, strain.
The mulled wine syrup can be replaced with a rich simple syrup. The cocktail with have less spice, but will be no less delicious.