|Ingredients||Seafood, Potatoes, Vegetables|
Source: Chef Johnny Anderes, Telegraph, Chicago
Typical of the simplicity, vivid flavors and wine friendliness that Executive Chef Johnny Anderes strives to serve at Telegraph in Chicago, this dish, Octopus Salad with Butterball Potatoes, Roasted Garlic and Lemon, results in a palate impression that is more than the sum of its parts when paired with a Viennese white or Cotes du Rhone rose wine.
For the Octopus
1 each Spanish octopus (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs.)
To taste - salt, pepper
1/2 bottle white wine
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 pieces allspice, whole
2 pieces star anise, whole
6 cloves garlic
1 carrot, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 lemons, juiced
For the Garlic
8 cloves garlic
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Potatoes
2 lbs. butterball or fingerling potatoes
Salt, for roasting
For the Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad
1 head fennel, shaved
6 ribs celery, shaved
To taste - chili flakes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
2 ounces parsley, chopped
- Thaw octopus if frozen. Season with salt and pepper. Coat with 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- In a braising pot, combine the octopus, white wine, allspice, star anise, garlic cloves, carrot, celery and lemon juice. Cover the pot and braise in 350 F. oven for approximately 2 hr. or until octopus is fork tender.
- When tender, remove octopus from the braising pot and discard the liquid. Allow octopus to cool.
- Using a clean dish towel, gently rub the skin off the octopus, keeping the suction cups on the tentacles intact.
- Cut out the beak of the octopus and scoop out the matter inside the head. Cut the body and tentacles into bite-sized pieces.
- For the Roasted Garlic: Cook garlic cloves in olive oil over low heat until golden brown, about 30 to 45 min.
- For the Potatoes: In a baking pan, cover potatoes with salt and roast in 350 F. oven for 45 to 50 min. or until tender. When cool, slice into 1Ž4-in. coins.
- For the Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad: Shave fennel and celery and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Assembling the dish: In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp. roasted garlic oil just to the smoking point. Add the octopus pieces and sear briefly. Add roasted garlic pieces, butterball potatoes, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Sear the potatoes. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Plate the octopus and potato mixture, top with shaved fennel and celery salad and garnish with chopped parsley.