These golden pockets of flaky pastry dough are filled with a garlicky mix of potatoes, caramelized onions and cheese. Easy to pick up and eat they make a great appetizer.
18 oz. flaky pastry dough
6 tbsp. olive oil
4 large onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 lb. potatoes, par-boiled, cubed
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups Jack cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. Mexican oregano, crumbled
2 cups tomatillo salsa
2 cups pico de gallo
- Prepare pastry, cover, and set aside. Heat oil in large skillet. Caramelize onions over low heat. Add potatoes and garlic and sauté an additional 5 min., until potatoes are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper, set aside and cool.
- In large bowl, combine potato mixture with cheese and oregano.
- On a cool surface, roll pastry out into a rectangle 1⁄8-in. thick. With a cookie cutter, cut out 5-in. circles. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- Place circle of dough on work surface. Place 2 heaping tbsp. of filling in center and brush edges with egg white. Bring edges up over filling, and pleat and seal firmly. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake empanadas at 350° F. until golden, approx. 20 min. Serve with tomatillo salsa and pico de gallo.