|Ingredients||Potatoes, Seafood, Dairy|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: Recipe and photo courtesy of Washington Potato Commission
These rich and spicy croquettes are topped with a quail egg, turning them into a dish that could be just as much at home on a brunch menu as on the starter list at dinner. Chef Sun suggests accompanying the French-Asian small plate with a glass of beer.
1 3/4 lb. russet potatoes
1 tbsp. butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. white pepper
Thai Spicy Curry
1 to 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and cut into 1-in. lengths
1 cup hazelnuts or macadamia nuts, roasted
1 1/2-in. piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
3 (2-in.) pieces turmeric root, peeled and grated
2 Thai chilies
1 1/2 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
1 tbsp. sugar
1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped
1 lb. scallops, chopped
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 box (8 oz.) panko bread crumbs
6 quail eggs
Vegetable oil for frying
1 bunch lemon thyme or ½ bunch scallions, sliced thin
2 limes, cut into wedges
- Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and cut into chunks.
- In large saucepan, place potatoes; add cold water to completely cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook 10 to 15 min. until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Thai Curry Paste: In food processor, combine lemongrass, hazelnuts, ginger, turmeric, chilies, shallots and garlic; process until smooth. Heat 3 tbsp. oil over med.-high heat. Add curry paste and saute until bubbly. Stir in cream and sugar; reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, about 5 min. Strain into small bowl.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to large bowl; let potatoes cool briefly. Mix in butter, salt and pepper; mash or whisk until potato mixture in smooth; mix in egg yolks until blended.
- Prepare Filling: In skillet over med.-high heat, heat oil. Add shrimp and scallops; cook just until translucent. Stir in 3/4 cup of Thai Curry Paste.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup potato mixture for each croquette; press each into disk 2 to 3 in. in diameter. Portion about 1 tbsp. shrimp mixture into center of each disk. Carefully fold edges over and form balls or cones, making sure filling is sealed inside potato mixture.
- Prepare Breading: In large bowl, beat eggs until blended. Bread croquettes by dipping each first in flour, then in beaten eggs, then in panko.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or 1/2 in. oil in large skillet to 350 F. Fry croquettes in small batches 3 to 5 min. until golden brown, turning if necessary.
- To serve, spoon 1 to 2 tbsp. Thai Curry Paste in center of plate; arrange 2 to 3 croquettes on plate. Garnish with lemon thyme and lime wedges.