Egg white omelets are nothing new, but at many places, they look and taste like diet fare. Another Broken Egg pumps up the flavor of theirs by roasting garlic cloves and red peppers for extra oomph and folding them into an herbed egg white mixture. Blanched asparagus, green onions and goat cheese add more layers of flavor and substance. The result is a satisfying, nutritious breakfast plate that’s easy on the waistline.
2 oz. asparagus, blanched and sliced
2 oz. roasted garlic cloves
2 oz. roasted red peppers
6 oz. egg whites, beaten
2 oz. goat cheese
2 tsp. chopped fresh herbs
1 tbsp. diced green onions
2 orange slices, for garnish
- In a buttered sauté pan over med.-high heat, cook asparagus, garlic and roasted peppers for 1 min. until heated through.
- Add egg whites; reduce heat to med. Evenly sprinkle half the chopped herbs over egg whites.
- Cook until eggs are set around the edges, lifting edges to allow loose eggs underneath to cook. Once omelette loosens from the pan, flip the omelette.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until eggs are fully set. Flip omelette again; evenly crumble cheese over inside.
- Fold omelette into another skillet or onto a plate. Evenly distribute remaining herbs and green onions over the top; garnish with orange slices.