Source: National Onion Association
Chef Cole cooks onions over hickory chips to infuse them with a mellow, smoky flavor and golden color. The smoking provides a new dimension to the usual crudité and dip. It's a lighter, healthier snack that makes a welcome change of pace.
6 cups hickory chips
5 med. yellow onions
4 cups heavy-duty mayonnaise
2 tbsp. minced fresh thyme
2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1/2 tbsp. liquid smoke, to taste (if needed)
Assorted raw vegetables for dipping
- Soak hickory chips in water for at least 40 min.; drain.
- Peel and quarter onions and place in perforated pan. Cover with foil and puncture foil with a couple of holes.
- Place the soaked chips in a stovetop smoker or outdoor smoker over med.-high heat. Place pan of onions in the smoker. Smoke for 1 hr. or until onions have a nice brown color. (Tasting the onions for smoke flavor is the best way to check for doneness; not all smokers are the same.)
- When onions are smoked, transfer to food processor and puree until smooth; allow to cool.
- In bowl, combine pureed onions with mayonnaise and remaining ingredients; mix well. Taste for salt and liquid smoke. Serve with assorted raw vegetables.