Sweet Potato and Russet Gratin
Thinly sliced sweet potatoes and russet potatoes baked in a creamy sauce and garnished with sautéed chanterelles and onions.
4 sweet potatoes, peeled
3 russet potatoes, peeled
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
Ground nutmeg, to taste
1 med. white onion
1 lb. fresh chanterelle mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Using a mandoline, thinly slice sweet potatoes, then russets. Place in separate bowls.
- Cover each bowl of potatoes with 1 cup heavy cream. Season liberally with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg (baking will lessen the intensity of the seasoning).
- Coat a 9 x 6-in. (standard casserole) pan with butter. Starting at one corner of the pan, place individual slices of sweet potatoes in a row, just overlapping one another. Move on to the next row, just overlapping the first. Repeat until the pan has a flat layer of sweet potatoes.
- Top that layer with the russet slices, overlapping in the same orderly manner. Repeat with another layer of sweets, then russets; continue until the pan is full.
- Pour the remaining cream from the potato bowls over the gratin. Cover with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil (the plastic wrap ensures the potatoes will remain moist and steamy).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 min., until the potatoes have absorbed the cream (peel back a corner of the plastic/aluminum wrap to check).
- Remove the wrap and return the pan to the oven for 10-15 min. more, until the top is a crusty golden brown.
- While the gratin is browning, caramelize onions in a little butter. Add mushrooms to caramelized onions and sauté until golden.
- Remove gratin from oven; garnish with sautéed chanterelles and onions.