Vegetable Casserole with Roasted Onion Consommé
Source: Recipe from Chef David Shea
A perfectly comforting winter entrée, this vegetarian dish is filled with carrot, parsnip, rutabaga, white turnip, celery, mushroom and Spanish onion.
2 large carrots, peeled
2 large parsnips, peeled
1 large rutabaga, peeled
1 large white turnip, peeled
1 bunch celery
1 lb. mushrooms, cleaned
3 lb. Spanish onions, very thinly sliced
2 oz. chopped garlic
8 cups water
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh herbs
1⁄4 cup bread crumbs
- Cut the carrots and parsnips on a bias about 1⁄2-in. thick.
- Cut the rutabaga and turnip into small batons, 1⁄4- x 1⁄4- x 1 in.
- Separate the celery into ribs and cut on a bias about 1⁄2-in. thick.
- In separate sauté pans, caramelize the carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and turnips in a small amount of oil until lightly brown. Dot with butter and place in a 450°F oven. Roast until just tender-crisp. Remove vegetables from pans and reserve.
- For the consommé, heat a deep skillet over high heat until very hot. When the pan just starts to smoke, add some oil; immediately add sliced onions, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Cook until the onions are fully caramelized. When you think the onions have cooked enough, cook 5 min. longer, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup water, stirring to lift any fond off the bottom of the pan. Stir in remaining 7 cups water and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, skimming the surface with a spoon, until consommé is reduced by half.
- To finish: In a sauté pan, melt a small amount of butter. Add celery and cook 3 min.; add reserved roasted vegetables. Reduce heat and add just enough consommé to bind the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and a small amount of chopped herbs. In another pan, heat a little oil until very hot. Add mushrooms and cook without stirring, just until they start to color. Stir in chopped garlic and remaining chopped herbs; season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble: In a deep soup bowl, arrange the carrots and parsnips in a circle. Add remaining vegetables within the circle, trying to build some height. Top with mushrooms and bread crumbs. Place the entire dish under the broiler for about 1 minute, until the crumbs are a deep golden brown.
For service, spoon a little hot, seasoned consommé around the vegetables.