In the eight years since Restaurant Business has published our annual Clean Plate Awards issue, about 100 notable chefs, restaurateurs and industry folks have served as judges.
This year, our ninth panel of judges selects their favorites—those restaurant dishes that literally made them clean their plates. They ate locally and globally, enjoying meals in their hometowns and during their travels around the country and the world. Among their top choices were expert renditions of comfort classics, such as pizza, doughnuts and fried chicken. Also on their lists were regional and ethnic sandwiches, Asian-style seafood preps and platters of shareable bites. Read on to see what dishes made the cut for “best of the best” in 2015.
Favorite seafood dishes
| Favorite finger foods
| Reinvented favoritesWildest picks
| Editors’ picks
| Winsight staff picks
- Berkshire Pig Head Carnitas, CBD Provisions, Dallas
- Roasted Marrow Bones, Brasserie Ten Ten, Boulder, Colo.
- Seared Diver Scallops, Girl & The Goat, Chicago
- Cubana, Xoco, Chicago
- Momotaro Tartare, Momotaro, Chicago
- Temaki, KazuNori, Los Angeles
- Deconstructed Latte, Indaba Coffee, Spokane, Wash.
- Fried Chicken, Willie Mae's Scotch House, New Orleans
- Vegan Chicarrones Locos, El Rey Coffee Bar & Luncheonette, New York City
- Catfish Salad, Lan Larb, New York City
- Doughnuts, Twin Peaks Coffee & Donuts, Tannersville, N.Y.
- Maytag Blue Cheese Potato Chips, Jasper's, Plano, Texas
- Brisket Frito Pie, La Barbecue, Austin, Texas
- Smoked Meat Croquettes, Joe Beef, Montreal, Canada
- BBQ Shrimp, W.H. Stiles Fish Camp, Ponce City Market, Atlanta
- Late-Night Seafood, J.Sheekey Restaurant, London
- Calves Liver with Sauteed Onions, Al Biernat's, Dallas
- Mimi's Fried Chicken, Jasper's, Plano, Texas
- Tortilla Soup, Fearing's Restaurant at The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas
- Famous Ferdi Special, Mother's Restaurant, New Orleans
- Langoustines, Costa di Mare at the Wynn Hotel, Las Vegas
- Original Cheddar Fries, Snuffer's Restaurant & Bar, Dallas
- Filet Mignon, Empire Steak House, New York City
- Fusilli in Cartoccio, Roberto's Restaurant, Bronx, N.Y.