QSRs are experimenting with less traditional breads, delivering on consumers’ desire for upscale options. Wendy’s has led the charge, offering flatbread, brioche and pretzel buns on LTOs in 2013; Arby’s, Culver’s and others have tried Hawaiian, artisan and fresh-baked buns. Flatbread is most prevalent, at 33 percent of QSRs, according to research firm Food Genius. Pretzel buns, at 4 percent of QSRs, have seen the fastest growth recently. Brioche (at 1 percent of QSRs) is growing fastest at small chains and independents.
- 4 must-have soup tips for your winter menu
- 4 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales with Catering and Delivery
- KFC finally introduces chicken and waffles
- McDonald’s is testing made-to-order chicken
- On-demand breakfast drives all-day sales