QSRs are experimenting with less traditional breads, delivering on consumers’ desire for upscale options. Wendy’s has led the charge, offering flatbread, brioche and pretzel buns on LTOs in 2013; Arby’s, Culver’s and others have tried Hawaiian, artisan and fresh-baked buns. Flatbread is most prevalent, at 33 percent of QSRs, according to research firm Food Genius. Pretzel buns, at 4 percent of QSRs, have seen the fastest growth recently. Brioche (at 1 percent of QSRs) is growing fastest at small chains and independents.
- On the Border launches fajita bundle deal
- Cowboy Chicken introduces free kids meals on Monday nights
- 3 new takes on global street food
- Brio debuts 4 new Bar Bites
- Red Lobster debuts new menu