QSRs are experimenting with less traditional breads, delivering on consumers’ desire for upscale options. Wendy’s has led the charge, offering flatbread, brioche and pretzel buns on LTOs in 2013; Arby’s, Culver’s and others have tried Hawaiian, artisan and fresh-baked buns. Flatbread is most prevalent, at 33 percent of QSRs, according to research firm Food Genius. Pretzel buns, at 4 percent of QSRs, have seen the fastest growth recently. Brioche (at 1 percent of QSRs) is growing fastest at small chains and independents.
- Can you ace this flavor pairing quiz?
- How restaurants are winning over the youngest diners
- 5 secret workhorses every kitchen should have
- Carl’s Jr. downsizes a signature burger for an LTO win
- Wendy’s is making a big change to its tomatoes