QSRs are experimenting with less traditional breads, delivering on consumers’ desire for upscale options. Wendy’s has led the charge, offering flatbread, brioche and pretzel buns on LTOs in 2013; Arby’s, Culver’s and others have tried Hawaiian, artisan and fresh-baked buns. Flatbread is most prevalent, at 33 percent of QSRs, according to research firm Food Genius. Pretzel buns, at 4 percent of QSRs, have seen the fastest growth recently. Brioche (at 1 percent of QSRs) is growing fastest at small chains and independents.
- 3 ways to tweak desserts to accommodate dietary restrictions
- White Castle to take its Impossible Slider national
- 5 ways operators are innovating on ethnic sandwiches
- 3 ways to reel in diners with seafood-focused bar snacks
- Chipotle is bringing back chorizo