QSRs are experimenting with less traditional breads, delivering on consumers’ desire for upscale options. Wendy’s has led the charge, offering flatbread, brioche and pretzel buns on LTOs in 2013; Arby’s, Culver’s and others have tried Hawaiian, artisan and fresh-baked buns. Flatbread is most prevalent, at 33 percent of QSRs, according to research firm Food Genius. Pretzel buns, at 4 percent of QSRs, have seen the fastest growth recently. Brioche (at 1 percent of QSRs) is growing fastest at small chains and independents.
- Chipotle brings back its Boorito celebration
- Pollo Tropical adds new dishes to its menu
- Clean-label chicken takes menus in a new direction
- Tin Drum Asian Kitchen adds new rice bowl
- Giada De Laurentiis to open 2nd restaurant