Asian Medley Salad with Shrimp and Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette
Rob Benes, Cafe Supervisor
The Cafe at the Glen Ellyn Public Library
Glen Ellyn, Ill.
The Glen Ellyn Public Library boasts its own cafe, where visitors can enjoy salads, sandwiches, snacks and more. For this popular Asian-inspired salad, shrimp, sugar snaps, carrots, radishes and purple and green cabbage make a colorful base for a toasted sesame seed vinaigrette. The dressing is a blend of honey, rice wine vinegar, tamarind, lime juice, sesame seeds, garlic and ginger.
10 raw medium to large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail removed
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
1½ cups roughly chopped romaine lettuce
¾ cup purple and green cabbage, chopped
10 sugar snap peas, halved on the bias
6 strips bell peppers, julienned
5 radish halves, thinly sliced
¼ cup shredded carrots
1 tbsp. diced green onions
Cilantro leaves and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Toasted sesame seed-ginger-honey vinaigrette
3 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1½ tbsp. tamarind
1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
½ garlic clove, grated
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Pinch ground white pepper
1. For salad, in medium bowl, place shrimp; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Toss to combine.
2. Broil shrimp 5 to 7 minutes or until the turn opaque with pinks and red accents. Remove and cool.
3. In large bowl, combine lettuce, cabbage, sugar snaps, bell peppers, radishes, carrots and green onions; toss to mix.
4. For vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in container with lid. Shake vigorously until combined; set aside to allow flavors to blend.
5. Place shrimp in small bowl; drizzle with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette and toss to coat. Drizzle 3 tablespoons vinaigrette over vegetable mixture; toss to combine.
6. Transfer dressed vegetable mixture to shallow bowl or serving plate. Top with shrimp. Garnish with cilantro and toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Photo courtesy of The Cafe at Glen Ellyn Public Library