Avocado and Miso Ginger Soba Noodles
Chef Keith Brunell
Quick pickled vegetables, marinated soba noodles and a miso ginger vinaigrette create many layers of flavor in this dish with little cooking. The noodles just need to boil briefly and all the other components can be made ahead. The recipe makes a cool addition to a summer menu.
Pickled cucumbers and celery
2 cups sliced Japanese cucumbers (1/8-in. thick)
1 1/3 cups sliced celery (1/8-in. thick)
6 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
½ tsp. freshly grated turmeric
¼ tsp. kosher salt
Miso ginger vinaigrette
5 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
6 tbsp. orange juice
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1½ tsp. white miso
1½ tsp. minced garlic
¾ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup sesame oil
1 tbsp. grated orange zest
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Marinated soba noodles
6 qt. water
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 lb. 3 oz soba noodles
1 ½ cups miso ginger vinaigrette
4 cups arugula
6 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 6 wedges
2/3 cup peeled and thinly sliced watermelon radish
2½ tbsp. furikake
- For pickled cucumbers and celery, combine rice wine vinegar, turmeric and salt in a large bowl.
- Add cucumber and celery slices and mix to combine. Let stand for at least 15 minutes; refrigerate until needed.
- For miso ginger vinaigrette, combine rice wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, ginger, miso, garlic and salt in a food processor. Process about 30 seconds until smooth. With machine running, slowly add oils until emulsified. Add orange zest and black pepper and mix just until combined; set aside.
- For marinated soba, in large pot over high heat, bring water and salt to a boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to package directions. Immediately drain noodles and rinse with cold water until cool to the touch. Drain completely and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place noodles in large mixing bowl and pour in miso ginger vinaigrette. Mix until noodles are well coated with vinaigrette.
- To assemble, per order, place 1 cup marinated soba noodles in shallow bowl. Tope with 1/3 cup arugula and 1/4 cup pickled cucumbers and celery. Arrange 3 wedges of avocado and some radish slices on top; evenly dust with 1/2 teaspoon furikake.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission