Beer Braised Short Rib Sliders
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Chef Jon Davis
La Brea Bakery
Sliders are perfect watch party food for a crowd. Chef Jon Davis of La Brea Bakery fills these with braised beef instead of the typical burgers for a do-ahead filling that is convenient to portion out into split telera rolls.
2 ½ lb. bone-in beef short ribs
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. onions
1 large red onion
6 medium carrots
3 stalks celery
¼ cup celery leaves from celery heart
25 g. flour
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
12 oz. dark beer
8 sprigs fresh thyme
5 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs rosemary
3 fresh bay leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled
4 cups beef stock
12 take & bake telera rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Sprinkle salt and pepper over short ribs on all sides.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer short ribs to a plate.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and celery leaves to Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour, tomato paste and teriyaki sauce; cook, stirring constantly, until well combined and deep red, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine; add back short ribs with any accumulated juices.
- Bring short rib mixture to a boil; lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add all herbs to pot along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook until short ribs are tender, about 2–2½ hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter and let cool enough to handle and shred.
- Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shred short rib meat; layer on bread and serve with sauce on the side.
Photo courtesy of La Brea Bakery