Executive Chef Diego Solano
Coral Gables, Fla.
To reduce fat and amp up flavor, chef Solano makes these sliders with a mixture of ground meat and sauteed fresh mushrooms. A housemade sauce adds extra zing. One or two sliders makes for a satisfying between-meal snack when something more filling—and a little chef-inspired—is a customer demand.
2 cups port
1 cup demi glaze
1/4 cup honey
2 sprigs thyme
1 cup crimini mushrooms
5 lb. ground beef
2 1/2 lb. ground veal
2 1/2 lb. pork
2 1/2 lb. sauteed oyster mushrooms
Monterey Jack cheese
1. In small saucepan, bring port to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup. Add demi glaze, honey and thyme; simmer 10 minutes.
2. In skillet, saute crimini mushrooms in olive oil until tender. Add mushrooms to port mixture in saucepan and heat through; set aside.
3. In mixer bowl, combine beef, veal, pork and oyster mushrooms; mix with a paddle until well blended.
4. Portion mixture into slider-size patties. Cook on flat-top or grill until desired doneness.
5. To serve, place sliders on focaccia bun bottoms; top with sauce and a cheese slice. Broil until cheese melts. Sandwich with arugula, onions and focaccia tops.