University of Wisconsin at Madison
What happens when you take two popular meal items and put them together? Breakfast pizza. Sausage gravy, scrambled eggs and bacon make this dish the envy of other brunch foods.
1 16 oz. pizza crust
1 lb. pork sausage gravy
1 lb. loose scrambled eggs
8 oz. cooked potato rounds (tator tots can substitute)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
3 oz. crumbled bacon
3 lb., 13 oz. ground pork sausage
6 oz. all purpose flour
2 5/8 tsp. kosher salt
1 3/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
6 oz. milk
3 oz. waxy maize
1. Brown sausage and drain fat.
2. Add flour to form a roux. Cook until starch flavor is gone.
3. Add salt and pepper.
4. Combine maize and milk to make a slurry. Add to pan. Cook until gravy is thick, 175 F. Cool gravy before adding to pizza.
5. Ladle gravy on pizza dough.
6. Top with scrambled eggs, potato, cheese and bacon.
7. Bake in pizza oven 515 F for 5 minutes.