Cortez Seafood & Cocktail
Sweet potatoes are available throughout the fall and winter and add color, flavor and texture to a soup. At Cortez Seafood & Cocktail, the chef combines the orange tubers with lots of garlic, ginger and orange juice to brighten the soup’s flavor, then adds spinach and mushrooms to make it even heartier.
5 sweet potatoes
10 peeled garlic cloves
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
3 oranges, juiced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
6 oz. fresh oyster mushrooms, brushed clean
- oz. fresh spinach
- Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes and place in a large pot along with garlic and salt. Add water to cover and place over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat; do not drain. Let sweet potatoes cool in their cooking liquid.
- In blender or food processor, puree potatoes and their liquid with ginger and orange juice. Strain mixture through fine woven colander. Gently reheat the soup in the same pot over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to hot skillet and swirl to coat bottom. Add mushrooms; saute until lightly browned. Just before mushrooms are done, add spinach; saute just wilted. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, divide mushroom-spinach mixture among four bowls; pour warm soup on top.
Photo courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission