Source: Houston Independent School District (Houston)
A healthy take on a Southern classic. This gumbo uses chicken and brown rice, making it a great option for lunch.
25 cups cooked brown rice
3 gal. gumbo base
8 lb. cooked, diced chicken breast or thighs
100 packets saltine crackers
11.5 oz. gumbo roux mix
2 lb., 6.5 oz. diced yellow onion
1 lb. 10 oz. diced celery
1 lb. 10 oz. diced green bell pepper
1.5 oz. whole peeled garlic
2 tsp. black pepper
1.5 oz. Cajun blend spices seasoning
2 cups Worcestershire sauce
2 gal. water
5 lb., 2 oz. canned diced tomatoes
6 oz. vegetable base
.25 oz. parsley leaf
8 oz. corn starch
Cajun Seasoning Blend
Yield: 125 lb.
25 lb. ground paprika
27 lb. garlic powder
27 lb. onion powder
12 lb. crushed oregano leaves
12 lb. thyme leaves
22 lb. ground black pepper
- Heat kettle to 180°F, add celery, onions, bell peppers, roux and seasonings. Stir well to combine.
- Increase heat to 200°F, add water and vegetable base and tomatoes.
- Bring to simmer, add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup cooked brown rice in a 12 ounce soup bowl.
- Ladle 8 ounces of gumbo base over rice. Place 2.5 ounces of cooked, diced chicken in center.
- Serve immediately with 2 packets of saltine crackers.