Crispy Smashed Potato Salad
Chef Michael Gulotta
Potato salad is a must-have at summer picnics and barbecues. Chef Michael Gulotta of Maypop gives the classic a different twist by deep-frying the potatoes and tossing them with a zesty Asian dressing. Szechuan peppercorns, ginger and Thai chili paste deliver shots of heat, while mayo, lemon grass and fresh lemon mellow out the flavors. Toasting deepens the flavor of the spices.
8 large red potatoes, unpeeled
2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
2 heads garlic, roasted
1/2 tsp. dill seed, toasted and ground
1/2 tsp. celery seed, toasted and ground
1/2 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, toasted and ground
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 red onion, minced
1 tbsp. minced, peeled ginger
2 lemongrass stalks, tender centers thinly shaved
1/4 cup fresh dill weed, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Thai chili paste
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 tbsp. seasoned rice wine vinegar
3 cups mayonnaise
Assorted greens, for garnish
- In large saucepot, combine potatoes and enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook potatoes until fork-tender, about 10 to 12 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: squeeze garlic cloves into large bowl and mash with a fork. Add dill seed, celery seed, Szechuan pepper and black pepper; mix well. Stir in sliced celery, red onion, ginger, lemongrass, dill weed, chili paste, lemon zest and juice and rice wine vinegar. Add mayonnaise; whisk to blend well. Set dressing aside.
- Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in deep fryer to 360 F. Gently smash cooked potatoes into irregular pieces and drop into hot oil. Fry potatoes 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy; drain.
- Toss potatoes with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and fold into dressing. Serve warm, garnished with assorted fresh greens.
Photo courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission