Fingerling Potato Breakfast Pizza
Chef Douglas Katz
Fire Food and Drink
Top a pizza with potatoes, bacon and eggs, and it makes a great way to start the day. But this pie from Fire Food and Drink can easily extend into other dayparts. A combo or cheddar and mozzarella cheeses ramps up the pizza’s craveability.
3 lb. assorted fingerling potatoes
6 tbsp. canola oil
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. chopped parsley
Ground black pepper
3 prebaked 10-in. pizza crusts
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
6 slices applewood smoked bacon, partially cooked, drained and chopped
Spinach leaves, torn into pieces, optional
- Preheat convection oven to 375 F. or conventional oven to 400 F.
- On sheet pan, make a bed of kosher salt. Immerse potatoes in salt and place in oven. Bake, turning once, for 30 to 45 minutes or until soft on the outside and not quite done in the middle.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over low heat; add canola oil and potatoes. Cook over low heat about 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through, stirring every few minutes. Stir in butter, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pizza crusts on baking sheets. Combine cheddar and mozzarella; sprinkle evenly over crusts, leaving a ¼-inch rim around edge.
- Make 4 small nests in the cheese on each quadrant of each crust; break one egg into each nest. Distribute cooked potatoes and bacon over pizza.
- Bake pizzas 15 to 20 minutes until egg whites are cooked through and yolks are still runny.
- To serve, cut pizzas into 4 wedges with one egg in each. Garnish with torn spinach leaves, if desired.
Photo courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission