Source: Elizabeth Jane Bivins Culinary Center, Amarillo, Texas
Substituting olive oil for butter and wheat bread for a baguette reduces the calorie count of this indulgent soup.
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tub Minors Beef Stock
5 gal. water
#20 red onion, sliced
2 quarts Marsala wine
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup black pepper
2 cups granulated sugar
4 loaves wheat bread, sliced
#2 provolone, sliced
- Saute onions in oil with salt, pepper and sugar. Allow to slightly caramelize.
- Deglaze with Marsala wine, reduce to au sec.
- Add Minors Beef Base to cold water, add to pot. Simmer at least 30-45 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Toast bread slices. Top with provolone. Broil au gratin.
- Ladle soup into bowl. Garnish with toast directly on top.