Grilled Chimichurri Chicken
Chef Kim Salahie
Metz Culinary Management
Chef Kim Salahie of Metz Culinary Management prepares a lightly spiced brine to moisten, tenderize and flavor chicken breasts. After soaking, the chicken is marinated in a chimichurri mixture made with fresh herbs. The bright green chimichurri sauce does double duty, also accompanying the grilled chicken. The Latin-accented dish is served with a side of roasted broccoli.
1½ gal. water, divided
1 tbsp. pickling spice
¾ cup sea salt
4 tbsp. honey
24 chicken breast halves (4-5 oz. each)
2¼ cups olive oil, divided
¾ cup sliced shallots
1½ cup fresh chopped basil, divided
1½ cups chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, divided
6 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
6 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
5 garlic cloves, divided
6 tbsp. chopped cilantro
3 tbsp. lime juice
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Crushed red pepper, to taste
12 cups broccoli florets
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. For chicken: In large saucepot over high heat, bring ½ gallon water, sea salt and pickling spice to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat; add remaining 1 gallon water and honey.
2. Cool brine to room temperature. Add chicken to brine; let soak 1 hour at room temperature.
3. Remove chicken from brine and rinse with cold water; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels; place breasts in large roasting pan.
4. In food processor, combine 1½ cups olive oil, shallots, 1 cup basil, 1 cup parsley, rosemary, thyme and 3 garlic cloves. Porcess until herb mixture is finely chopped. Rub herb mixture all over chicken; cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. In food processor, combine remaining ¾ cup oil, ½ cup basil, ½ cup parsley, remaining 2 garlic cloves, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar and red pepper to taste; puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for serving.
6. Rub excess marinade off chicken, leaving some clinging. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, covered, about 30 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
7. Meanwhile, in large bowl, toss broccoli with oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in one layer on sheet pan. Roast in 375 F. oven for 10 minutes.
8. To serve, transfer chicken to plates and spoon on remaining chimichurri. Accompany with roasted broccoli.