Chef-owner Michell Sanchez
Latin House Grill
Not even professional chefs want to spend a lot of time in a hot kitchen during the summer months. This Caribbean-accented recipe that requires little prep work, much of which can be done ahead when the day cools down, with a grilling time that’s a mere 3 minutes.
1 lb. (about 16-20 shrimp) large tiger shrimp
2 tbsp. honey
2 whole mangos, peeled and cubed for puree
1 orange habanero pepper
1 green papaya
Salt, to taste
1. Prepare the shrimp by cleaning, deveining and slightly butterflying, leaving shell and tails on. Cover in bowl and set in refrigerator.
2. In blender, add honey, mango, habanero and squeeze of lime. Blend for 2 minutes, adding a pinch of salt and blend for another minute.
3. Preheat grill to 350 F.
4. Using a mandolin with teeth, shred papaya and toss with honey, juice from 1 lime and salt to taste.
5. Cover slaw and set aside.
6. Wipe grill with vegetable oil on a clean cloth and place shrimp on grill for 3 minutes each side.
7. Remove from grill and serve over bed of fresh papaya slaw.
Photo courtesy of National Honey Board