Jackfruit Stir Fry
Chef Sam Blackburn
Sodexo held a culinary competition for its chefs and cooks, and one of the criteria was to create a dish that could be eaten with one piece of cutlery. Chef Sam Blackburn won the “Love of Food Innovation Challenge” with a plant-based jackfruit stir fry. His street food-inspired recipe fit all the contest criteria, including easy preparation, replication and serving. And the eater only needs one utensil to enjoy it.
2 oz. uncooked rice vermicelli noodles
½ tsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. tamari soy sauce
1½ tsp. honey
1½ rice wine vinegar
½ tsp. fresh chili paste, such as sambal oelek
1 tbsp. vegetable stock or water
1½ tsp. lime juice
1½ tsp. sesame oil
¼ cup broccoli florets
¼ tsp. kosher salt or to taste
½ tsp. ground black pepper or to taste
½ cup shredded carrots
¼ cup sliced yellow squash
¾ tsp. finely chopped garlic
¼ tsp. peeled and finely chopped ginger
¼ cup jackfruit in slivers or bite-size pieces
2 tbsp. sliced water chestnuts
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro, divided
1 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions, divided
1½ tsp. chopped peanuts
1½ tsp. sliced and seeded jalapeno pepper
1. Cook noodles according to package directions; rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, chili paste, stock and lime juice; whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. In large wok or saute pan, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli florets; saute 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add carrots; saute 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add squash; saute 2 minutes more. Stir in garlic and ginger; saute 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium; add jackfruit, water chestnuts and reserved sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer; stir in cooked noodles, 2 tsp. cilantro and 1½ tsp. green onions.
5. To serve, transfer to plate or shallow bowl and top with peanuts, jalapenos and remaining green onions and cilantro.
Photo courtesy of Sodexo