Executive chef Michael Garbin
Union League Club
Chef Garbin changes up porridge from the traditional oats, swapping in jasmine rice as the grain and cooking it to a thick, creamy consistency. At Chicago's Union League Club, he seasons the porridge with Asian flavors, creating a fancified brunch dish similar to congee-a breakfast staple in China.
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb. pork belly
5 cups water plus 1 oz. water, divided
1 lb. jasmine rice or jasmine rice blend
2 tbsp. salt, divided
3½ cups skim milk
1 lb. butter
6 egg yolks
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 oz. Sriracha
4 oz. white vinegar
½ cup sliced green onions
½ cup diced tomato
1. Combine 1 tablespoon salt, brown sugar and pepper; rub on pork belly. Let stand for 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pork belly on roasting pan, skin-side up. Roast in oven for
1½ hours; let cool. Cut belly into ¼-inch slices; cut each slice into ¼-inch strips. In hot skillet, brown strips of pork belly until golden brown; keep warm.
3. In large saucepan over high heat, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice and remaining 1 tablespoon salt; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 minutes. Stir in skim milk; bring to a quick boil. Cook, stirring frequently, until it reaches oatmeal consistency; keep warm.
4. In another large saucepan over low heat, melt butter until solids separate and settle to bottom. Set clarified butter aside.
5. For hollandaise, in stainless-steel bowl, combine egg yolks, lemon juice and 1 ounce water; whisk to combine. Place bowl over double boiler; continue whisking egg yolks until lemon colored and thick. Slowly add small amounts of clarified butter until incorporated. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Add Sriracha sauce to hollandaise. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; keep warm on stove.
6. Poach eggs by combining 2 quarts water and vinegar in large, shallow pot. Bring to a simmer; slowly add 1 shelled egg to pot; lightly swirl to help white form around yolk. Add remaining eggs; poach for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. To serve, ladle porridge into bowls. Remove poached eggs with slotted spoon; quickly drain onto folded towel. Place 1 egg in center of each bowl. Spoon Sriracha hollandaise over egg to coat. Sprinkle crisp pork belly around egg; garnish with sliced green onions and diced tomato.