Source: Primary Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah
Turn Meatless Monday into Taco Tuesday by substituting lentils for ground beef. The lentils' small size make them the perfect filler.
1/4 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 oz. diced yellow onion
1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tbsp. 2 tsp. dry lentils
1/8 oz. taco seasoning
1/4 qt. vegetable broth
1 oz. pico de gallo
2 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 oz. diced tomato
1 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes, until tender. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, bring to boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in pico de gallo.
- Heat tortillas on grill/flat top or in microwave.
- In each tortilla, spread sour cream, add 1/4 cup lentil mixture. Top with 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/2 ounce tomatoes and 1/2 ounce cheese.
- Serve 2 tacos per portion.