Chef Matthew Register
Southern Smoke BBQ
How about setting up a soup station for a game day watch party? In addition to the obligatory chili, this creamy sweet potato soup makes a welcome option. Chef Matthew Register roasts the sweet potatoes ahead for ease of execution.
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 oz. chorizo, skinned and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
2 lb. roasted sweet potatoes, cut into rough cubes
2 cups heavy cream
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1. In large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chorizo; cook until golden brown. Remove chorizo with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. In same skillet, cook onion 8 to 10 minutes until softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
3. Stir in sweet potatoes; cover with cream. Add rosemary, brown sugar and salt. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are completely soft. Remove woody rosemary stalks.
4. With hand blender, whisk soup until smooth, thinning with more cream or boiling water if mixture seems too thick. Season to taste.
5. To serve, ladle into warmed bowls; garnish with reserved cooked chorizo and a dollop of sour cream.
Photo courtesy of North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission