Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
True Food Kitchen
Housemade teriyaki sauce and wok aromatics give this version of chicken teriyaki an elevated and unique flavor profile. The teriyaki sauce is a blend of fresh pineapple, apples, orange juice, soy and ginger, while the aromatics combine lemongrass, ginger, scallions and sambal. True Food Kitchen further elevates the dish with a healthy portion of fresh vegetables, including bok choy, broccoli, green beans, sugar snaps and avocado.
2/3 cup chopped scallions (white part only)
1/3 cup chopped lemongrass
1/3 cup chopped, peeled gingerroot
1 tbsp. water, if needed
½ tbsp. canola oil, if needed
1 ½ tsp. sambal oelek
¾ cup peeled, cored and chopped pineapple
½ cup cored, chopped fuji apple
9½ oz. low-sodium soy sauce
3 oz. freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. chopped, peeled gingerroot
1 tbsp. chopped scallions
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-in. cubes
1 egg white
1 tbsp. cornstarch
16 oz. canola oil
3 tbsp. wok aromatics (recipe above)
¾ cup teriyaki sauce (recipe above)
Velvet chicken (recipe above)
3-6 tbsp. canola oil
1. For wok aromatics: In food processor, combine scallions, lemongrass and ginger; process to form a smooth paste. Add canola oil if needed to smooth the mixture into a paste; if mixture seems dry, add water. Pour mixture into bowl; fold in sambal.
2. For teriyaki sauce: In large saucepan, combine pineapple, apple, soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, ginger and scallion. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until ingredients are tender.
3. Remove sauce from heat and let cool 20 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender; puree until smooth and pour into another bowl.
4. For velvet chicken: Combine egg white and cornstarch in medium bowl. Add chicken cubes and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. In wok, heat 16 ounces canola oil to 275 F. Strain chicken cubes and add to hot oil. Cook chicken just until it begins to turn white, 30 seconds to 1 minute, separating the cubes if needed. Remove chicken from oil; drain on paper towels.
6. For stir fry: Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil.
7. Working in three batches, add some of chicken cubes to wok; cook until golden. Add 1 tablespoon aromatics, 1 cup baby bok choy, 2/3 cup broccoli florets, 1/3 cup green beans, 1/3 cup sugar snaps and ¼ cup onion; stir fry until vegetables are tender-crisp and chicken is cooked through. Add ¼ cup teriyaki sauce and reduce slightly.
8. Transfer to bowl and repeat two more times with the same ingredients, wiping out the wok between batches.
9. To serve, divide rice among serving plates or bowls; top with equal portion of chicken stiry fry. Garnish each plate with avocado, sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission