Chef Chris Miracolo
Sun Surf Sand
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
At Sun Surf Sand in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., wood-fired steaks take on bitter, sweet and spicy accents with a trio of condiments. The beef is first seasoned with a coffee-chili dry rub for a kick of caffeine and spice, then paired with a gingery mango sauce and finished off with a drizzle of housemade chipotle vinaigrette. The triple punch adds up to a distinctive taste of the tropics.
Gingery Mango Sauce
1 cup finely diced ripe mango
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 tbsp. diced green onion
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. ginger juice
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. mango puree
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. dried oregano
3 oz. peeled shallot, minced
1 oz. garlic, minced
4 Fresno peppers, blistered and diced
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. chipotle in adobo, seeded and minced
2 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sherry vinegar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. ground coffee
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 lb. yucca, peeled and cut into 16 sticks (4 inches long)
1 lb. bavette steak, cut into four portions
1. Prepare mango sauce: In large bowl, combine all ingredients and refrigerate until service.
2. Prepare chipotle vinaigrette: In large bowl, combine all ingredients except oil. Whisk in oils until emulsified. Cover and refrigerate until service.
3. For coffee rub: In small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and set aside.
4. To prepare yucca: Place yucca sticks in pot of simmering salt water and cook until soft, about 25 minutes. Remove and place in strainer to dry. Just before service, heat oil in fryer to 350 F and fry until golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
5. To prepare steaks: Rub each steak with coffee rub and season to taste with salt. Brush with oil and grill to desired temperature. Allow steaks to rest for a few minutes and cut each steak into 4 slices.
6. To assemble: Place 4 fried yucca sticks on plate and top each with one slice of steak. Distribute 1/4 cup mango chimichurri over each serving and drizzle with chipotle vinaigrette.
Photo courtesy of National Mango Board