Source: UIUC, Champaign, Ill.
Use fresh or leftover risotto to make delicious arancini. They key to this dish is a flavorful risotto base and proper frying technique.
1 pan Rice Risotto
2 2/3 tbsp. panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 oz. frying oil
Rice Risotto – Yield 1 pan
4 oz. unsalted butter
1 lb. 4 oz. diced yellow onion
2 5/8 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups Chablis wine
4 oz. vegetarian soup base
1 1/4 gal. water
2 lb. 8 oz. Arborio rice
8 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat deep fryer to 325°F.
- Spread risotto evenly onto sheet tray. Blast chill 20 to 25 minutes, until cooled.
- Form balls using 12 ounce scoop.
- Coat evenly with panko breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry until golden brown or internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Melt butter in kettle. Add onions and garlic. Sauté 4 minutes.
- Add rice to kettle. Stir well to coat rice with butter.
- Cook rice about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add white wine.
- Add water/base in batches (1/4 of liquid at a time) cooking on low, stirring frequently. Allow rice to absorb liquid before adding next batch. Do until all liquid is cooked into risotto, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add 2/3 parmesan to risotto, gently stirring to mix well. Place risotto mixture in pan, garnish with parmesan cheese.