Avocado Zen Cocktail
Chef Jason Hernandez
Blade & Tine
Holmes Beach, Fla.
Cocktails featuring seasonal produce make a refreshing way to toast summer. Since avocados are in peak season in June, Chef Jason Hernandez uses them to enhance this calming culinary-inspired green cocktail. Cucumber vodka, lime juice, mint and crystallized ginger complete the flavor profile and a splash of soda water adds fizz.
6 oz. cucumber vodka
1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz. honey
2 oz. mint simple syrup
2 tsp. minced mint leaves
2 tsp. crystallized ginger powder for rimming, optional
1 ripe avocado
Ice cubes, as needed
- In metal shaker, combine vodka, 1 oz. lime juice, honey, mint syrup and mint; shake vigorously for 20 seconds until honey is well blended.
- Slice lime into four wheels, cutting a small notch in each to secure on glasses; set aside. Squeeze juice from remaining lime. Moisten rims of four 10-ounce glasses with lime juice; dip rims in powdered ginger crystals.
- Peel and seed avocado. Dice three quarters of the avocado into ¼-inch pieces; set aside. Slice remaining avocado quarter into 4 wedges; set aside.
- Place half the diced avocado on bottoms of prepared glasses; add ice cubes and remaining diced avocado.
- Pour contents of shaker into glasses. Top with soda water; garnish each with a lime wheel and avocado wedge.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission