Source: Courtesy of Washington State Potato Commission
A new spin on a retro dish reminiscent of grandma's during the holidays. Caramelized sweet onions are mashed into these potatoes, along with a little garlic and cream. As an option, consider adding Gruyere cheese for its sweet, nutty flavor.
2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes
1 med. sweet onion
1 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 to 1 cup cream, heated
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. kosher salt
- Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes and cut into 2- to 3-in. chunks.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cut onion into thin strips. In a large skillet over med. heat, melt 1 tbsp. butter. Add onions. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and very soft, about 10 to 15 min.
- Drain potatoes well and turn into large mixing bowl. With wooden spoon, mix in caramelized onions, 4 tbsp. softened butter, 3/4 cup of the cream, garlic and salt; leave chunky.
- Add the additional 1/4 cup cream if necessary. Serve hot.