A partly grilled tomato half stars in this simple and summery appetizer, smoke-tinged on the grilled side and fresh and juicy on the raw side, served over greens with zesty arugula, spinach pesto and creamy stracciatella cheese.
1 clove garlic
1 bunch arugula, washed, divided
1/2 bunch spinach, washed
1 tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
About 1 cup olive oil, divided
1 tbsp. grated parmesan
2 large ripe tomatoes, halved
1 cup stracciatella
Juice of 1 lemon
- Blanch the garlic in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- In blender, process the garlic, 3/4 bunch arugula, spinach, pine nuts, 1/2 cup olive oil and parmesan into a pesto. Keep the pesto refrigerated until needed.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Lightly brush the faces with oil and season with salt and pepper. On a hot grill or in a very hot pan, sear the tomato face down until well charred. Remove with a spatula carefully and set aside.
- Chop the remaining arugula into ribbons and set them in the center of the plate. Place a charred tomato on the arugula face up.
- Spoon the stracciatella around the tomato. Dress liberally with the pesto. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.