Chili Con Carne & Corn Tortilla Lasagna
Source: St. Clare’s Health System, Denville, N.J.
Aatul Jain, operations manager & chef, says this recipe has been designed with easily available, ready-to-use ingredients.
7 cups medium spiced salsa
60 fresh corn tortillas
3 cups cooked, drained, rinsed black beans
7 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 cups cooked thick beef chili
1 cup sour cream
- Lightly spray the sides of a 2-inch stainless hotel pan. Ladle about 1 ½ cups salsa and spread across the bottom of pan.
- Lay out 15 tortillas as the first lasagna sheet, 3 along the width and 5 along the length.
- Add 3 cups of black beans. Add 1 1/2 cups salsa and smear over the beans, filling any gaps in between. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese over top.
- Lay down 15 tortillas as the next sheet. Spread 3 cups beef chili across the tortillas. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese over top.
- Lay down 15 tortillas as the next sheet. Spread 3 cups beef chili across the tortillas. Spread 2 cups salsa on top of the chili. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese over top.
- Lay down 15 tortillas as the next sheet.
- In a bowl, mix 1cup sour cream and 2 cups salsa. Spread mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese over top.
- Cover with parchment paper. Next cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for at least 45 minutes at 350°F. Remove from oven and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Remove wrap. Place in salamander to give the top cheesy crust a bubbly golden brown color.
- Cut into portions. Serve hot with additional salsa, hot sauce or chilies