Source: The Soyfoods Council
Chef Andres combines soymilk and egg whites with cocoa to create an impressive looking dessert that’s lower in cholesterol than the average chocolate cake. The portion-controlled individual serving will also appeal to health-conscious dessert lovers who find it hard to resist chocolate.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar, divided
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup + 1 tbsp. plain soymilk
5 egg whites, at room temperature
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
7 oz. chocolate coating
9 oz. heavy cream
3 oz. white chocolate, melted
- In med. bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. In large bowl, beat shortening on med. speed for 30 sec. (to incorporate air). Add 1 2/3 cups sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternately add flour mixture with buttermilk and 2/3 cup soy milk. Beat after each addition just until combined. Set batter aside.
- In another med. mixing bowl, beat egg whites on med. speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating on med. to high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold half the egg whites into batter mixture until incorporated; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon half the batter (approx. 3¼ cups) into another bowl; sift cocoa powder over batter. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. soymilk.
- For bombe-shaped cakes, you will need 16 (6-oz.) dome silicone molds. Place chocolate and white batters into two separate piping bags. Start by piping chocolate batter into center of each mold. Next, pipe white cake batter around chocolate. Repeat this process for the next layer, but reverse colors (white on top of previous chocolate layer and chocolate on top of previous white layer). Limit layers to two or cake will rise above dome mold.
- Bake cakes in 375°F conventional oven for 12-15 min. or 350˚F convection oven for about 12 min. or until tops bounce back when touched. Cool on racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare ganache: Into med. bowl, add coating chocolate. Place over pan of boiling water; stir until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; fold in heavy cream. Cool slightly.
- Trim bottoms of bombes so they lay flat. Coat bombes with ganache; drizzle with melted white chocolate.