Grilled Turkey Burger with Apple Chutney
A grilled turkey burger is paired with a delicious apple chutney. The chutney adds just the right amount of spice and sweetness.
For Turkey Burgers:
2 3⁄4 lb. lean ground turkey
1 1⁄2 Spanish onions, chopped
3 tbsp. chopped garlic
1⁄2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup, plus 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 3⁄4 cup apple chutney, divided (recipe follows)
Salt and pepper to taste
8 brioche buns
Lettuce leaves, for garnish
1 1⁄2 shallots, minced
1 tbsp. peeled, and minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. dry white wine
2 oz. apple juice
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored, and diced small
2 star anise
1⁄2 lemon, juiced
3⁄4 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1. Combine ground turkey with onions, garlic, and parsley. Mix in Parmesan, olive oil, and 3⁄4 cup apple chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and form into 8-oz. patties.
2. Grill burgers until golden brown. Finish in hot oven until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
3. Place burgers on toasted brioche buns and top with lettuce and 2-oz. chutney. Serve with chips or fries.
1. Sauté shallots and ginger in butter until translucent. Add sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved and begins to caramelize. Deglaze pan with wine and apple juice and reduce by one third. Add diced apple.
2. Wrap star anise in cheesecloth and add to pan. Simmer on low heat for about 20-30 min. Add lemon juice; stir and remove from heat to cool. Remove cheesecloth with star anise and fold in scallions.
Yield: 1 3⁄4 cups.