Honey-Lacquered Bacon Burrito
Chef Tamara Westerhold
Chef Tamara Westerhold takes the breakfast burrito up a few notches with a filling of honey-lacquered bacon, potatoes, beets and eggs. A housemade lime salsa adds contrasting tartness and heat.
Honey Lime Salsa
1 lb. tomatillos
½ cup chopped onions
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. lime juice
½ tsp. kosher salt
4 slices thick-cut bacon
2 tbsp. honey
Potato Beet Filling
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 small Yukon gold potatoes, diced
2 beets, peeled and diced
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 eggs, scrambled
2 flour tortillas (10-in. size)
4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- For salsa: Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse. Place tomatillos in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring tomatillos to a boil; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon to blender; add onion, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, honey, lime juice and salt. Pulse ingredients until they are finely chopped; chill for at least one hour.
- For bacon: Preheat oven to 400 F. Cook bacon on wire rack over sheet pan for about 10 minutes. Turn and drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey. Continue to cook 8 to 10 minutes longer or until bacon is crispy. Remove from oven and chop into small pieces.
- For filling: Place diced potatoes, beets and onions on a sheet pan and toss with 3 tablespoons olive oil; roast 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic; toss well and sprinkle with kosher salt. Return pan to oven and roast 10 to 12 minutes longer or until potatoes are crispy and onions are beginning to brown. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- For burritos: Place 1 tortilla on hot skillet over medium heat, adding half the cheese along the middle. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes until cheese begins to melt and tortilla is soft and pliable. Add half the bacon, half the potato mixture, half the scrambled eggs, and some of the salsa. Fold in short ends of tortilla and roll up the ingredients, tightening as you go to close up the burrito. Serve with additional salsa.