Source: The Beef Checkoff
Beef and Peruvian purple potatoes are combined with peppers to give this stir-fry its characteristic flavors. The dish exemplifies the blending of Chinese and Latin cultures that is part of Peru’s culinary legacy.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 cups long-grain rice
4 cups diced onions
14 cups chicken stock
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
4 bay leaves
Kosher salt, to taste
4 cups frozen peas
6 cups beef stock
6 tbsp. cornstarch
6 cups tomatoes
3 cups finely diced red bell pepper
3 cups finely diced yellow bell pepper
1 1/2 cups finely diced red onion
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
24 Ranch steaks (6 oz. each)
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 1/4 lb. onions, thickly sliced
2 1/4 lb. red bell peppers, thickly sliced
2 1/4 lb. yellow bell peppers, thickly sliced
6 cups frozen corn
36 Peruvian purple potatoes, steamed and quartered
72 fresh corn husks
1/4 oz. parsley sprigs
- Prepare Spanish Rice: In large saucepan, heat oil. Add rice; cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Add onion; cook, stirring, about 2 min. Add stock, tomato sauce, oregano, bay leaves and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low heat about 20 min. or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Stir in peas. Keep warm or reheat as needed.
- Prepare Stir-fry Sauce: In med. saucepan, heat stock to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with 6 tbsp. water. Add to stock; simmer until stock is light syrupy consistency. Chill until ready to use.
- Prepare Salsa Criolla: In large bowl or container, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare Crema: In med. bowl or container, whisk together all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Per order, cut 1 Ranch steak into thin strips; season with salt and pepper. In wok or sauté pan, stir-fry steak strips in 1 tbsp. oil 1 to 2 min. or until browned and no longer pink; remove from pan and keep warm
- In same pan, stir-fry 1 1/2 oz. each onion and red and yellow bell peppers until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add 1/4 cup corn, 6 potato quarters, 1/4 cup reserved stir-fry sauce and cooked steak strips back to pan; continue to stir-fry until heated through.
- Line a bowl with 3 corn husks. Mound 1½ cups Spanish Rice in bowl. Arrange stir-fry mixture on top of rice. Garnish with 1/2 cup Salsa Criolla, Crema and parsley sprigs.