Mushroom and Cheese Arepas
|Ingredients||Vegetables, Mushrooms, Dairy|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Warm South American arepas bread filled with a cream cheese, goat cheese and sauteed button, shiitake and portobello mushroom mixture. Served with a side of jicama and palm heart slaw and topped with a mustard emulsion.
Mushroom and Cheese Mixture:
1⁄2 lb. cream cheese
1⁄2 lb. goat cheese
1⁄4 cup sliced sautéed button mushrooms
1⁄4 cup sliced sautéed shiitake mushrooms
1⁄4 cup sliced sautéed portobello mushrooms
1⁄4 tbsp. kosher salt
1⁄4 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
2⁄3 cup masa
1⁄3 tbsp. kosher salt
1⁄3 cup grated pepperjack cheese
1 1⁄3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1⁄2 - 2⁄3 cup hot water
1⁄3 cup fresh corn, sautéed and cooled
1 cup julienned jicama
1 cup julienned fresh hearts of palm
5 tbsp. sherry vinaigrette
Kosher salt, as needed
Ground black pepper, as needed
1⁄2 cup fresh mayonnaise
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1⁄4 cup Creole mustard
Salt and ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro, as needed for garnish
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix cheeses, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- For Arepas: Combine masa, salt, and cheese in mixing bowl. Stir in butter and 1⁄2 cup water. Knead with hands to form a soft pliable dough. Add the rest of the water as necessary. The dough should be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Fold in corn and then roll out the dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Cut with a 5-in. round cutter and griddle on a flat top or non-stick pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Makes about 8. Reserve.
- For Slaw: Toss jicama and hearts of palm in a bowl with sherry vinaigrette. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- For Mustard Emulsion: Wisk together fresh mayonnaise, sour cream, and Creole mustard; salt and pepper to taste.
- To Assemble: Spread 1⁄4 - 1⁄6 of the cheese and mushroom mixture on one side of an arepa. Place in a 350° F oven for 4-5 minutes. Warm a second plain arepa in the oven at the same time. Remove from oven and sandwich the two arepas. Cut into four equal sections. Place 1⁄4 - 1⁄6 of the slaw in the center of the plate and arrange the arepa sections around it. Sauce the arepas with mustard emulsion. Garnish with chopped cilantro.