Pan-Seared Cod with Mango-Strawberry Pico de Gallo and Cumin-Mango Gastrique
Chef David J. Stadtmiller
Fruits like mango and strawberries are a refreshing way to meet daily vitamin and fiber requirements. Chef David Stadtmiller makes the most of their flavor, color and juicy texture by showcasing them in a pico de gallo on a canvas of snowy white cod. An acidic gastrique contrasts with the fruits’ sweetness.
8 oz. fully ripe mango, diced (about 1 cup)
½ cup honey
½ cup white vinegar
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground cumin
Mango-strawberry pico de gallo
4 oz. fully ripe mango, cut into 1/8-in. dice
2 oz. strawberries, cut into 1/8-inch dice
2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
½ tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 large lime, juiced
Kosher salt, to taste
Pan seared cod
8 small purple potatoes, steamed
12 asparagus spears
8 pieces (3 oz. each) cod fillet
Salt, pepper and ground cumin, to taste
1. Prepare cumin-mango gastrique: In medium saute pan, combine mango, honey and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until large bubbles form. Do not completely cook out liquid.
2. Remove pan from heat pour mixture into blender. Add salt and cumin; cover and blend for 45 seconds or until completely smooth. (NOTE: Hold lid down with a towel to ensure the steam does not blow the top off.) Refrigerate puree until ready to use; reheat for service.
3. Prepare pico de gallo: In stainless steel bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing in lime juice and salt until fully incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. For seared cod, combine asparagus spears with vegetable oil, kosher salt and cracked black pepper in a heated saute pan; saute 3 to 4 minutes or until al dente. Set aside.
5. Season cod with kosher salt, black pepper and ground cumin. Sear skin-side down in a saute pan for 2 minutes; flip and continue to cook for 2 minutes, until fish reaches 145 F for 15 seconds.
6. To serve, ladle 1½ ounces heated gastrique on plate; spread into even layer. Place two pieces cod on top, one overlapping the other. Position asparagus and potatoes over gastrique off to the side. Top cod with pico de gallo.
Photograph courtesy of National Mango Board