Source: University of California, Santa Cruz
This salad is filled with veggies, tomatoes and croutons, creating a perfect balance of crunch.
1 loaf Rudi’s Sardo baguette
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 3/4 oz. minced garlic
2 lb. coarsely chopped heirloom tomatoes
2 tbsp. sp caper nonparelle fancy, drained
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup vinegar red wine
1 1/4 lb. cucumbers, 1-in. diced
1/2 cup sweet basil
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
6 oz. red onions, 3/16-in. sliced
1/2 lb. julienne roasted red peppers
2 1/2 lb. chopped romaine lettuce
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat first-listed extra-virgin olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic; when garlic is sizzling but not brown, remove from heat.
- Pour garlic oil over bread and toss. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in 350°F oven, until croutons are toasted.
- In large bowl, mix together tomatoes, capers, second-listed oil, vinegar, cucumbers, basil, salt and pepper to make Tomato Salad.
- Place red onions and peppers in pans and hold chilled.
- At service, toss croutons with lettuce and Tomato Salad and top with onions and peppers.