Source: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, Illinois)
These poached pears are a healthy dessert option and a great way to use leftover wine.
18 Seckel pears
1.5 bottles red wine, preferably Syrah
12 oz. granulated sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 star of anise
12 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice
- Peel, half and core pears
- Put wine and other ingredients in pot
- Bring to light boil and turn flame down. Let pears simmer in red wine mixture.
- Flip pears occasionally. Pears are done when they give no resistance when poked with paring knife.
- Remove from liquid.
- Chill pears until plating.