Chocolate Braised Beef Brisket
Source: SODO Kitchen, Taqueria, Little Pond Sushi and Noodle Bar
This chocolate-braised brisket is great for grilling and for a dinner menu option. Plus, it pairs well with potatoes and polenta.
1 10-lb. brisket
8 oz. cocoa rub mix
8 oz. espresso
2 diced onions
2 lb. diced carrots
8 garlic cloves
4 celery stalks
1 bulb fennel
1 cup red wine
3 oz. tomato paste
1 gal. beef stock
1 lb. bitter dark chocolate
Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim extra fat off brisket. Rub down with cocoa rub. Sear beef in large pan, until brown on each side. Remove and add vegetables and garlic.
- After sweating vegetables, add tomato paste for two minutes and deglaze with wine.
- Add stock, espresso and chocolate. Bring to simmer, add beef back, braise in oven at 325°F for about 3 hours or until fork tender. Remove beef and allow to rest. Skim fat off liquid.
- Purée braising liquid until smooth and adjust with salt and pepper to use as sauce.
- Slice brisket, cover with sauce and serve with any type of potato or polenta.