Source: Ariccia Trattoria & Bar the hotel at Auburn University
Incorporate game onto your pasta night selection with this flavorful Rabbit Cannelloni.
1 whole rabbit
Olive oil as needed
1 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 gal. chicken stock
2 springs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 can diced tomatoes
Butter, room temperature
- Breakdown rabbit into 8 pieces.
- Sear rabbit in olive oil, until golden brown.
- Remove rabbit and add carrots, celery and onions. Cook until nicely caramelized.
- Add rabbit and cover with chicken stock.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, truffle oil and tomatoes.
- Braise rabbit for about 2 hours, or until meat falls off bone.
- Take rabbit out, remove meat and reserve.
- Strain braising liquid and reserve.
- Take pasta sheets and brush with egg wash.
- Place rabbit meat along edge of pasta sheet.
- Roll pasta dough until rabbit meat is covered.
- Cut cannelloni into desire shape
- Place cannelloni in oven-safe pan.
- Before putting cannelloni in oven, add some braising liquid and Parmesan cheese (half way). Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes.
- While waiting, reduce 1 cup of braising liquid until you get about 1 tablespoon’s worth. Sauce will be thick. Add little butter to loosen it up and serve on top of cannelloni.