The adult beverage industry is using technology, new packaging and fresh ingredients to entice imbibers in 2013. According to extensive industry research by Technomic and its team of experts, these are the top 10 trends to watch in 2013:
- Sweet wines: Moscato, red blends and pink sparkling wines, ranging from sweet to medium-bodied, appeal to the 20s and 30s crowd
- Extensive beer lists: Presented alongside wine lists, beer lists will be featured at upscale and fine dining restaurants
- Hard ciders: These pair well with food, and new flavors are helping boost cider's popularity
- More flavors: New flavors, sweet and savory, are being mixed with vodka, whiskey and tequila
- Upscale retailing: Bottle shops are replacing dingy package stores, making the shopping experience more refined
- Specialty mixers: A raised bar for bitters, sodas, and juices means they must be of higher quality to make the mix
- More alcohol on tap: Beer isn’t the only beverage on tap now; wine kegs and spirits on tap are appearing in more restaurants and bars
- Technology: Digital tablet menus, kiosks, smart phone apps and QR codes make drinking a 21st century activity
- Indoor/Outdoor Beer Gardens: Friendly and communal drinking vibes are what beer gardens are all about in 2013, indoors and out
- Whiskey: The brown liquor is being aged and flavored to turn the old classic into a new favorite
These trends point to an emphasis on flavor, presentation and quality for the adult beverage market in 2013.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.