No matter the size of the revenues, restaurants face a range of business challenges. We asked operators from our Top 100 Independents ranking what’s plaguing them the most. Not only did they tell us their biggest problems, but some shared how they are responding.
Top 3 challenges ... and how operators cope
- Contemplating service charges.
Bottega Louie, Los Angeles
- Trying to figure out ways of micromanaging labor without compromising service.
Scoma's, San Francisco
- Maintaining high levels of service, quality food and providing our guests with the best possible experience.
Buddakan, New York City
- Staying informed through the media as to how people are spending; responding wisely to any trends or shifts in the economy to ensure smart decisions are being made.
- Revamping the menu to include lower-cost items.
Le Diplomate, Washington, D.C.
- Focusing on seasonal and local, as well as creative menu engineering, to adapt to rising costs.
Portland City Grill, Portland, Ore.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.